Pensacola is located in the northwest of Florida, ten miles from the Alabama Interstate. It has a long history, military aviation and natural scenery, all of which have Florida's signature sunshine, beaches, and seafood. And water views.
Although St. Augustine, located in eastern Florida or on the Atlantic coast, is considered to be the oldest city in the United States, and sailed here in Admiral Pedro Menendez de Aviles and in the western or western part of the state. After the establishment of the colony Pensacola, take root. In the Gulf of Mexico, if its own solution is sustained, it would have been able to win this title.
Six years ago, in August 1559, the Spanish explorer Tristan de Luna threw his anchor in a local tribe called "Panzacola" to show "long hair." The intention of the nation is to implement the Governor of Mexico, Luis de Velasco. Spain ordered the establishment of settlements in the Gulf.
He is well equipped and well prepared, equipped with 11 ships and brought in 1,500 possible colonists, including African slaves and Mexican Indians. But when a strong hurricane on September 19 destroyed eight ships in de Luna, history was forced to go the wrong way.
However, in order to save the expedition, he sent one of them to Veracruz, Mexico, to seek assistance to allow immigrants to survive on the shore and survive through the draining of supplies. However, the ships that arrived a year later did not re-offend the colonists, but rescued the survivors by bringing the survivors to Havana and leaving only one military post before the spring of 1561. By August, a few soldiers had given up survivors. The new land is returned to Mexico and it is considered too dangerous to settle.
Although it was not known at the time, it has always been the oldest and most continuous city in the United States.
In fact, in 1698, foreign troops would once again seek a foothold for nearly 150 years. In this case, Spain established a more successful garrison in the later modern Pensacola and established a colonial town for this purpose.
As has often happened throughout history, once land has been acquired, it has become a reward that other people usually seek through military means, and Pensacola is no exception. The Spaniard first surrendered to France in May 1719, but its ownership is almost unfinished. France, Spain, the United Kingdom and Spain will once again be occupied in the next century until the latter eventually ceded Florida to the United States in 1821. Since the Confederacy also “has acquired the right to reside”, Pensacola is considered to be the “Five Flag City”.
A large part of its nearly 500-year history has been preserved and can be experienced in the Pensacola Historic District, which is managed by the UWF Historic Trust, an organization supported by the University of West Florida. , consisting of 27 properties. National historical monuments directory.
Tickets [for one week only] include guided tours and visitors to the venue. Tickets are available at Tivoli High House.
There are many important structures. For example, Seville Square is the center of the old settlement and is one end of the British route parade. The end point is the Piazza Ferdinand VII. In 1821, General Andrew Jackson accepted the territory of West Florida from Spain and first raised the American flag.
A small, well-preserved part of Fort George was the target of the Battle of Pensacola in the American Revolutionary War and a symbol of British occupation from 1763 to 1781.
Original houses abound, including the Julie Panton Lodge, the 1805 Lavalle House, the 1871 Dole House and the 1890 Lille Rochebluff House.
The old Christian church, located in Seville Square, was built by slave laborers in 1824 and is the oldest of its kind in the state and is still in use today.
There are also some museums: the Little TT Wentworth Florida State Museum, built in 1908, originally used as the City Hall, the Pensacola Children's Museum, and the Pensacola Multicultural Center.
Although technically not part of the historic district of Pensacola, the Pensacola Hotel is located at the Louisville and Nashville Rail Passenger Terminal, which itself was built in 1912 to replace the original 1882 The L&N Union Station is 58 years old. It is now on the historical sites of the country.
Retaining its original glory and remodeling it into a hotel with a 15-story glass tower, retaining most of the early decor, including French clay tile roofs and ceramic mosaic tiles, and decorated with solid antiques, cast bronze lamps and Antique furniture.
Its luxurious "1912, Restaurant" is located on the first floor, with the Biva Gate at the entrance to London, the cast copper chandelier from Philadelphia, the beveled glass at the Scranton Victorian Hotel in 1885, and the scalloped barbecue from Italy. De [Lloyd's].
Pensacola Naval Air Station:
There are several important attractions on the Pensacola Naval Air Station, where visitors can enter and require identification [such as a permit] to enter
It was located at the naval dock site established in 1825. It was originally an aviation training station at the outbreak of World War I. At that time, nine officers, 23 mechanics, eight aircraft and ten beach-supported tents were considered first.
As it expanded dramatically during the Second World War, it trained 1,100 students each month and they flew about 2 million hours in total. After its Naval Aviation Basic Training Command moved its headquarters from Corpus Christi, Texas, to Pensacola, the course included a pure jet into the syllabus. Today, 12,000 active military personnel have been assigned, of which 9,000 have received aviation training.
The world-famous National Naval Aviation Museum is also home to one of Florida's largest attractions and one of Florida's most popular attractions. It was not originally used as a tourist attraction, but as a means of incorporating naval aviation history into the student's curriculum, while the traditional book learning model did not have sufficient time or funding.
Originally located in a 8,500-square-foot timber-framed building since World War II, the facility has become a venue for the selection, collection, preservation, and display of aircraft, artifacts that represent the development and tradition of the service sector. . It opened on June 8, 1963.
Expanding, there are currently 700 aircraft in its collection, which are exhibited in 11 other official naval museums across the country, but after having 37 outdoor acres and 350,000 square feet of new indoor facilities, there are still about 150 exhibits here. The original restored aircraft space has been completed. Free admission.
Subdivided into the South Wing, West Wing, the second floor mezzanine and the separate Hangu Bay No. 1, it traces the development of naval aviation and combat aircraft from the initial to the recent Middle East conflict.
For example, the A-1 Triad is so named because it operates in three areas of air [wings], water [floating] and land [wheels]. The Nieuport 28 of the First World War promoted the test of the aircraft carrier, while the Navy-Curtis NC-4 at the beginning of the Golden Age exhibition was the first to cross the Atlantic from Transylvia, Newfoundland, to Asia. The island of the Azores is off the coast of Portugal.
The speed of the jet fighter during the Cold War is represented by the McDonald's F2H-4 Banshee, North American FJ-2 Fury and Russian MiG-15.
At the heart of the West Wing is the USS Cabot Island, a replica of its aircraft carrier deck, surrounded by a large number of World War II aircraft, including the Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat and the Water-Sikorsky FG-1D Corsair. And the Grumman TBM Avengers Alliance.
Among the many exhibits in the mezzanine of the museum, it itself can overlook the south and west wings, and can even enter through the ground stairs of the aircraft, none of which provides a greater contrast than those dedicated to lighters. More than aerospace and space exploration
The airship evolved from a spherical balloon that was successfully flown by the Montgolfier brothers for the first time in 1783. The airships are large, controllable balloons that are themselves raised by buoyancy but are equipped with propulsion engines, rudders and elevators [for yaw, respectively] [steering]]] and longitudinal [pitch] axis control. The suspended gondolas accommodate the crew and passengers. The rigid type has an internal frame that is not required for a non-rigid frame, such as an airship.
Gondolas or control vehicles for the Navy L-8 and the K-47 airships of the Second World War were also on display. The latter was delivered on May 19, 1943 in Moffett Field, California, with an internal volume of 425,000 cubic feet.
In the second [ie, space] case, a replica of the Mercury Freedom 7 capsule represents the contribution of Naval Air to space, which was launched at 116.5 nautical miles and flew in the air/space for 14.8 minutes. The show, because Navy pilot Alan B. Shepard became the first American to enter the field on May 5, 1961.
In addition, the original Skylab II command module was demonstrated, which bypassed the Skylab space station during the 28 days from May to June 1973. It is operated by a three-member all-navigation crew and has created a number of records, including the longest manned space flight, the largest moving distance, and the largest object docked in space.
From the mezzanine and main floor, you can see the 75-foot-tall, 10,000-square-foot Blue Angels atrium that connects the South and West wings and coats four Douglas A-4 Skyhawks on the aerobatic team. There are diving diamonds. 39; s dark blue uniform.
Hangu Bay One has 55,000 square feet of exhibition space, including the Sikorsky VH-3 Sea King aircraft, which shipped Nixon and Ford in the 1970s. The Douglas R4D-5L light rail train first landed in Antarctica in 1956. And the supersonic swing fighter Grumman F-14D Tomcat who recorded the last combat mission.
Visitor services include complementary tours, a laser-powered giant screen theater, screening of several daily movies, two gift shops and the Cubi BarCafé Café.
You can watch the practice flight of the famous "Blue Angel" air show team on the museum flight line in the north of the museum itself.
Another historic attraction on the ground of the Naval Air Station is the Pensacola Lighthouse.
Due to the strategic importance of Pensacola Port, Congress allocated $6,000 in March 1823 to build a lighthouse and chose a suitable location in June, but temporarily replaced the floating “Northern Lights” until Construction completed. Transferred from the mouth of the Mississippi River, behind the western end of Santa Rosa Island.
The permanent structure is a 40-foot-wide white brick tower with ten whale oil lamps, each reinforced by a 14-inch mirror, which lights up for the first time on December 20 of the following year, allowing the sailboat to turn and then Enter the port.
Although it proved to be more useful than the replacement pontoon, it began to reveal its shortcomings: by 1850 it was obscured by trees on Santa Rosa and the light was too dark to be used as an effective navigation device. This led to the creation of a new lighthouse board that recommended a replacement height of at least 150 feet.
According to its request, Congress allocated $25,000 in 1854 and $30,000 in two years. The construction of the new facility was completed half a mile west of the original facility and was completed in 1858. The device rises 159 feet from a 30-foot base and tapers to the top of the 15-foot, and the device lights up for the first time in the New Year. The day of 1859 was co-authored by Keeper Palmes. It is equipped with the most powerful lens of the time, the first-order Fresnel mirror.
Today, the Pensacola Lighthouse is now listed in the National Historic Places, giving visitors a glimpse of the lighting administrator life of the mid-19th century, the Visitor Center and the Museum Store in the 1890s Carriage House, 1869, Richard C · The Callaway Lodge and the 177-step lighthouse itself can be climbed to admire the views of Pensacola Bay.
Another historically important attraction on the Pensacola Naval Air Station is Barranka.
The National Park Service said: "Fort Barrancas is located on a cliff overlooking Pensacola Bay, designed to protect the United States from foreign invaders." "Once it is considered to be against national defense Crucially, today’s Balankasburg illustrates the evolution of military technology and American values."
Shortly after Spain ceded Florida to the United States, the US Navy chose Pensacola Bay as the main dock for the Gulf Coast Navy, and in conjunction with the decision, dispatched Army Corps of Engineers to investigate the coastline to build fortifications to protect the Navy. Naval yard itself.
Built on the ruins of the Spanish fortress in 1798, the fortress was designated San Carlos de Barrancasburg – "Barrancas" is the "bluff" in Spanish and the third fortification on the bay. The existing 1797 San Antonio Bat Street beat was retained and revised.
It consists of slave workers from March 21st to September 21st. They work from sunrise to sunset. They are equipped with important weapons, including ten 24-pound cannons.
Although it was built as a defensive building, it only participated in the battle during the Civil War.
Due to the new development of cannons and naval warships, the US government began to evaluate proposals for new coastal defense measures in 1885. After the curtain of the Second World War, the United States announced a surplus in 1947.
From the visitor centre to the actual kite-shaped fort, the main features include steep cliffs and steep cliffs, ditches, suspension bridges, Salisbury harbour, guardhouses, open parade grounds and water batteries. A tunnel connects the latter two. The large shells fired by the water battery itself are designed to jump off the bay and hit the ship at its waterline.
The fort wall is 4 feet high and 20 feet high and consists of 6 million bricks with arches and noble ceilings.
The nearby high fortress, built between 1845 and 1870, protects the northern side of the peninsula, the site of the Pensacola Naval Dock.
Bridges and causeways connect to the mainland through the Gulf Breeze, Pensacola Beach, eight miles from downtown Pensacola, south of Interstate 110 Interstate, on a small block on the Santa Rosa barrier island Sugar sand overlooking the emerald waters of the Indian Ocean. The bay and the Gulf of Mexico provide marine-related activities such as swimming, tanning, fishing, snorkeling, sailing and diving. The flaming, pale yellow and purple sunsets often draw the sky.
There are many beachfront hotels, such as surf and beach, Margaritaville Beach and Portofino Island Resort, as well as well-known hotels like Hampton Inn, Hilton, Holiday Inn, SpringHill Suites and Days Inn. The Florida-style seafood restaurant has indoor and outdoor seating overlooking the water, including the Hemingway Island Grill Restaurant, Hidden Fish Shop, Big Marlin Fish Shop, Fluffy Pensacola Beach and Pinch Leg Restaurant Pitt.
Pensacola Bay Pier stretches 1,471 feet and can catch blue fish, fish, red fish, squid and spotted squid in the water. The flounder is not excluded.
The self-footprint in the “Sand Eco Tour” with iconic information marks gives you the opportunity to learn about local flora and fauna, including dolphins, sharks, turtles, birds, fish and flowers. Everyone explains a different ecological theme.
Pensacola Beach is part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore, which extends 160 miles from Fort Walton Beach, Florida, to Cat Island, Mississippi. Includes isolated islands, marine forests, bays, marine habitats and historic forts. The park is headquartered in the breeze of the island bay between the inland and Pensacola beaches, providing targeted films and exhibitions about the live naval oak area.
The National Coast, shaped by the Gulf of Mexico, preserves the history and culture of the United States and encapsulates visitors in Florida's flora and fauna. For example, in the gap between water and sky, the dolphins surfaced, the stars swim, and the pelicans and seagulls let the breeze bring them through the panorama.
One of the historic preserves of the Gulf Islands National Seashore is Pickensburg, located at the western end of Santa Rosa Island, opposite the entrance to the Pensacola Bay Harbour opposite Balankas Fort. It was named after the patriot Brigadier Andrew Pickens, who played in South Carolina during the Revolutionary War, and was once the largest brick structure in the Gulf of Mexico.
Back in 1821, when the third system of coastal forts expanded to include protection for Pensacola Bay and its continental coastal communities, four years later, the legislature passed a proposal to establish a naval dock and warehouse, its purpose is Achieve secondary goals. As part of the Triple Defense, it aims to protect the western end of Santa Rosa with the bluffing fortifications north of the Straits and the eastern end of the Pedidoc Island.
Its construction began in 1829 under the supervision of the US Army Corps of Engineers, when the government acquired 998 acres of land and built a pentagonal structure consisting of more than 21.5 million bricks and more than 200 cannons, five times. Years later.
“[Workers] use mortar, water and sand to build mortar; to use for grilling and building docks, scaffolding and timber supporting buildings; for door mate arches for waterproofing and for drainage and drainage pipes; According to the National Park Service, these materials include: stone; copper plates, copper bars and fixtures for powder magazines; and [and] main work and counter wood bricks, "according to national parks The statement of the Authority.
In the war, 500 soldiers are required to be stationed, but in an emergency, they can accommodate twice as many people. The structure consisting of 5 fortresses consists of a single-layer mate fort and a Barbate layer that can be released from the sea. A circle of fire walls.
As a result, the only battle it experienced occurred during the civil war.
Today, visitors can still enter Pickensburg through the original Salisbury post, which is fixed with heavy oak doors. The stucco-lined dormitory is both a residence and an infirmary. The arched turret provides a protected artillery position and a base for the second level cannon. The three main battle rooms are connected by a tunnel system, each containing 1,000 pounds of gunpowder. The gunpowder that stores the black power of the fortress is kept dry with a wooden lining, so the boots of the soldiers who must wear the boots can enter to prevent sparks. The generator room is home to a steam generator installed in 1903 that supplies power to searchlights and other modern equipment.
The carp bone forms a dry mountain to protect the fort from land attacks. Rainwater is collected and stored in a cistern for drinking. The tower fortress points directly to the strait, ensuring the protection of the harbour.