1. Origin of Farmingdale Aviation:
The Republic Airport is located in Farmingdale on Long Island. It is an important airport in the region and in world history. It plays a role in both military and civilians. But long before it became an airfield, it gave birth to manufacturers of aircraft.
Ken Neubeck and Leroy E. Douglas wrote in their book Farmingdale's Aircraft Manufacturing (Arcadia Press, 2016): "The Industrial Revolution and aircraft manufacturing came to Farmingdale during the First World War, At the time, Lawrence Sperry and Sydney Brace built their pioneer factory in the community. ", P. 9). "They were attracted by the two branches of the Long Island Railroad … The nearby Highway 24 provided unimpeded traffic for cars and trucks to and from Manhattan's 59th Street Bridge; the flat ground provided land for the land. The flight field; And close to skilled workers … "
However, the earliest aviation roots in the region date back to 1917. The Lawrence Sperry Airplane Company was founded at a capital of $ 50,000. It is located in Ross and Richard Street, Farmingdale, a messenger-type aircraft.
Designed by Alfred Verville of the U.S. Army's Department of Engineering at McCook Field, the compact 17.9-foot-long all-wood biplane is specifically designed for "air motorcycle" missions. Pick-up and drop-off in smaller spaces. Gained its name from the battlefield commander. Sydney Breese similarly cultivated the aviation industry in Farmingdale. His Brees Aircraft Company, located on East Park Road, designed penguins. The mid-wing aircraft is similar to the Bleriot XI and is powered by a 28-horsepower two-cylinder, roughly running Lawrence engine. It is a non-flying pre-flight trainer designed to help U.S. Army pilots transition from junior to combat. It was deployed on the open grasslands of Texas and had a wingspan that was too short to generate lift, but it gave the fledgling pilot a pre-departure aerodynamic feel on the horizontal tail. Of the 301 products produced, only 5 are used for this purpose. The rest is stored.
2. Fairchild Airlines:
If Lawrence Sperry and Sydney Breese lay the foundation for aviation in Farmingdale, then Sherman M. Fairchild ) Consolidated its position.
Initially interested in aerial photography equipment, he founded Fairchild Aerial Camera Company in 1920, sold two of these devices to the Army, and further developed the company into Fairchild Aerial Surveying Company on the basis of obtaining another 20 contracts , Engaged in map production. .
In order to replace the various aircraft he operates with a specially designed camera platform, Fairchild designed the required specifications for an aircraft, but could not find a manufacturer that could build it at a reasonable cost. He was forced to do so, founding his third airline, Fairchild Aviation Corporation, and moving into the Sperry plant in South Farmingdale. After the unfortunate death of founder Sperry in December 1923, he Was removed from office.
This high-wing, strut-supported single-engine multi-purpose aircraft was named FC-1 and first flew in prototype form in 1926. The aircraft has a closed and heated cabin to protect the pilot and its camera equipment, but its original OX-5 engine proved insufficient. Modified with a higher capacity Wright J-4 and renamed it FC-1A.
The FC-2 production version is supported by wheels, buoys or sleighs, increasing cabin volume. Powered by a 200-horsepower Wright J-5 aircraft, the aircraft is intended for commercial operations and has a total length of 31 feet and a wingspan of 44 feet. It can accommodate one pilot and four passengers, or carry up to 820 pounds of cargo, weighs 3,400 pounds, has a top speed of 122 mph and can travel up to 700 miles.
Demand at the southern Farmingdale plant quickly depleted capacity. After conducting aerial surveys of the area, Fairchild himself selected 77,967 acres of spare land on Highway 24 and south of Conklin Street in East Farmingdale. The strip passes through the railway line and the main Highway 110 corridor, which will facilitate personnel and raw materials Transport to new areas. After repacking into an airplane, the latter can fly out.
According to the Long Island Republic Airport Historical Society, "The 77,967-acre Fairchild Airfield was developed in the late winter and early spring of 1928 and was originally owned and operated by the Fairchild Engine and Aircraft Manufacturing Company." "The first flight from (it) was At the end of the spring of 1928, when Fairchild Aircraft Corporation and Fairchild Engine Factory were completed and produced the aircraft. There, Fairchild made Model 41, 41A, 42, 21, 100, and 150 aircraft … "
Like the wings of the Hampstead Plain to the west, they once again rose from the farmland of Long Island and were built, propelled, and supported by Fairchild Aircraft Factory, Fairchild Engine Factory, and Fairchild Airfield, respectively. Faircam Realty, Inc. purchased the land, and its initial layout was established on November 3, 1927.
Although Fairchild has produced multiple models at its new Long Island Aviation Center, its roots will soon prove to be fragile. Just three years later, it relocated its headquarters to Hagerstown, Maryland in 1931, withdrawing from its facilities, which were almost immediately seized by the American Corporation (AVCO), whose aircraft and engine division is American Airlines The company produced 100 pilgrims for transportation. However, the Great Depression during the Great Depression severely weakened the demand for the Depression, because aircraft purchases accounted for a high proportion of the company's cost reduction list, and it turned out to be shorter than Fairchild. By mid-1932, it had also disappeared.
3. Grumman Aircraft Engineering Company:
Grumman Aircraft Engineering was originally located at Valley Stream, where it designed the floats, then moved east to the Fairchild Airfield, and lived in the former Fulton Truck Factory, where it hatched the first production fighter FF-1. The biplane is powered by a 750-horsepower Wright engine, with retractable landing gear, and also offers the SF-1 as a scout configuration.
However, the most important aircraft emerging from the eastern Farmingdale production line is the duck. Since its origins can be traced back to Loening Aviation Engineering's XO2L-1, it was submitted to the US Navy in 1931, but because Loening himself lacked the facilities needed to build it, he turned to his former colleague Leroy Grumman and then modified After resubmitting the form. The accepted biplane XXF-1 in 1933 was powered by a 700-horsepower twin wasp engine that powered a three-leaf Hamilton standard propeller. Its support, consisting of a set of pillars on the outside of the fuselage and a second set of wires between the two wings, was the smallest at the time. Water work is supported by the centerline below the casing, and the landing gear retracts into it.
A total of 632 JF and J2F ducks were produced, compressed into a global multi-role service.
Although Grumman's Farmingdale presence surpassed all other companies, it moved to the larger headquarters of Bethpage, Long Island in 1937 after a decade of development, ending.
4. Seversky Aircraft Company:
Seversky Aircraft Corporation subsequently moved there from Queens University College Point in Farmingdale, occupying the site of a former US corporate factory and becoming the center stage of Farmingdale.
A beautifully decorated World War I figure, Alexander P. de Seversky, like Igor Sikorsky, immigrated from Russia to the United States, and In 1923, the first gyro-stabilized sight was developed at the Sperry Gyro Company, and then its own Sevsky Airlines was established. Focus on aircraft instruments and parts.
It injected new funds and initially occupied EDO's seaplane factory.
His first major design, the SEV-3, was both stylish and progressive in aerodynamics, reflecting Seversky's aeronautical characteristics. The all-metal low-wing aircraft is powered by a 420-horsepower, head-mounted Wright J-6 cyclone engine that can accommodate one pilot and two passengers in a sliding tandem convertible cockpit, or supported by a wheeled chassis or Floaters, and in 1933 established the world speed record of piston amphibians. Two years later, on September 15, it maintained an airspeed of 230 mph.
The basis of many subsequent versions, with only minor changes to the basic design externally, then evolved into the next major version, BT-8. As the first all-metal enclosed cockpit design operated by the US Army Aviation, it has a length of 24.4 feet and a wingspan of 36 feet. Powered by 400-horsepower Pratt and Whitney R-985-11, the 4,050-pound airplane (which can hold two) has a top speed of 175 mph. Thirty seats were built. It led to the final version.
Seversky Aircraft Corporation, originally located at Hangar 2 on the New Highway, is now used by the American Air Force Museum and took over the Grumman plant when it was transferred to Bethpage in 1937, maintaining two facilities. But, recalling the short history of East Farmingdale Airport tenants, it suddenly came to an end: Although Seversky, like many other aviation-conscious "geniuses," has the necessary design skills to Manufactured an advanced aircraft, but he lacked the necessary management shortcomings to formulate a proper, profitable business plan to carry out the equations needed for marketing, losing $ 550,000 by April 1939. Six months later, on a European sales tour on October 13, he was fired by his own board, who voted in favour of removing him from the company he founded.
After the reorganization, it was renamed "Republic Airlines".
5. Republic Airlines:
The fate of Fairchild's airfield is about to change. Driven by World War II, the fledgling Republic Airlines will explode, and its foundations will be deeply implanted in the soil of Farmingdale, and it may even take decades to be discovered.
What played a role in that war was the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
A successor to the Seversky P-35, a result required by the Army Aviation, including 400 mph airspeed, 25,000 feet service ceiling, at least six .50 caliber machine guns, armor protection, self-sealing fuel tank, minimum fuel capacity of 315 gallons .
The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt that dwarfs all other aircraft is the world's largest and heaviest single-engine, single-seat WWII strategic fighter, providing unparalleled diving speed.
Under the official name of "Republic Airport", the company's existing factory on the south side of Conklin Street was expanded due to the increase in warfare, three new buildings were constructed, control towers were installed, and its existing The runway, all of which is to support the production of P-47. In Farmingdale alone, the total production of P-47 reached 9,087 vehicles, and by 1944 it needed 24,000 employees. Thousands of employees pour in every day. A 24-hour uninterrupted production line sends an entire aircraft out of the factory every hour, which is then transported by a female Air Force service pilot or WASP. One of the Republic's main defence arteries, Republic Airlines, injected artificial machines into the agricultural plains of Farmingdale in 18 months and turned it into a democratic arsenal.
"By 1945, the Republic contributed more than 30% of the Army Air Force fighters to the European Air Force's battle against the German Air Force," Leroy E. Douglas wrote in the "Conklin Street Restricted Area" published in September. "The Long Island Forum, 1984 (p. 182). "Therefore, the Republic, Rangers and their more than 23,000 workers (more than half of whom are women) are part of their winning the war."
The final aircraft, the Republic XF-12 Rainbow-and the competing and equally powerful Hughes XF-11-both won two contracts.
The rainbow imitates the beautiful lines of the Lockheed constellation, with a total length of 93.9 feet. It incorporates the design experience accumulated during the development of Republic fighter jets. When reported in Aviation Week and Space Technology magazine, its appearance exquisitely exudes, The sharp nose and cylindrical cigar shape of the XF-12 satisfy the designer's dream of an uncompromising design from an aerodynamic perspective. "
Peace proves the enemy of the plane. The end of World War II eliminated its need (and similar Hughes XF-11). However, because it has long-range, high-speed and high-altitude, day and night, and limited visibility photo scouting capabilities, it is an ideal area mapping platform. Indeed, on September 1, 1948, the second of two manufactured aircraft photographed its transcontinental flight route from the Air Force Flight Test Center in Muroc, California to Long Island Garden City during Operation Bird Eye Mitchell Field.
Back at the military roots, the Republic entered the era of pure jets with its P-47 Thunderbolt successor.
The design is 37.5 feet long and was conceived shortly before the end of the 1944 war, retaining the straight wings associated with propeller aircraft. These spans are 36.5 feet.
The first flight on February 28, 1946, a 19,689-pound fighter-bomber, named the F-84 Thunderjet, was able to climb at 4,210-fpm, and at the 3,750-pound J35-GE-7. It has a range of 1,282 miles and a service limit of 40,750 feet. Total production is 4,455.
Development of its successor began in 1949. Due to a shortage of Air Force funding, the Republic retained 60% of its versatility through the F-84, which reduced development costs, but adopted sweep-back wings. The aircraft was powered by a 4,200 thrust pound Allison XJ35-A-25 engine, originally named YF-96A, and flew for the first time on June 3 of the following year, three months before it was renamed F-84F Thunderstreak. .
The increased funding after the Korean War spark allowed the Republic to complete a second prototype, which first flew on February 14, 1951, using a YJ65-W-1 engine, followed by the first production aircraft, The plane went live on November 22, 1952. NATO countries deployed such aircraft during the Cold War.
The F-84F Thunder produced a total of 2,713 aircraft.
Nonetheless, Ken Neubeck and Leroy E. Douglas summarized Republic-based aircraft in their book Aircraft Manufacturing in Farmingdale (p. 7-8). Manufacturing. "Although aviation began in Farmingdale, it was launched with cloth-covered triplanes, biplanes, and propeller engines. Times, assisted US forces in North Korea and NATO countries in the 1950s. "
6. Fairchild Republic Corporation
Although Fairchild left the airport it created in 1931, this absence was brief. It reappeared three years later, and lived in its original engine plant as the newly formed Ranger Aircraft and Engine Company until 1948. But the second history is complete.
Nine years later, it acquired Hiller Helicopters, became Fairchild Hiller, and purchased most of Republic's shares in July 1965, establishing Fairchild Hiller's Republic Aviation Division. As a result Fairchild returned to the soil where the first seeds were planted. In 1971, it continued its mad acquisition, purchased Swearingen, and produced and sold this 19-seat, twin-turboprop Fairchild-Swearingen Metro commuter airliner. The following year, the company adopted the official name of the Fairy Republic.
Its principle design was conceptualized before the Republic was obtained. This was motivated by the Air Force's requirements for short-range air support aircraft. This aircraft is simple, easy to maintain, and has near-field performance so that it can be used in small fronts near the battlefield. Empty base operation line.
Designated as A-10 Thunderbolt II with a production capacity of 733, it played an important role during the Gulf War and Iraqi Freedom of Operations.
7. Post-war manufacturing:
Although Republic Airport and its airlines are involved in the design and manufacture of most military aircraft, its gates also feature a wide variety of commercial and space components.
For example, the Boeing 747 was indispensable with leading edge slats, trailing edge flaps, spoilers, and ailerons manufactured by Fairchild Hiller's Republic Aviation Division, while also providing a similar role to the Boeing 747 contract, but cancelled , Supersonic 2707 passenger plane.
Fairchild Republic components made in Farmingdale are just as indispensable as the space shuttle.
After receiving a $ 13 million contract from Rockwell International in Los Angeles on March 29, 1973, Fairchild Hiller designed and developed six aluminum vertical tails in hangar 17 The wing tail has a 45-degree leading edge, is 27 feet high, and 22 feet long. And related rudders and speed brakes. The first was installed on a corporate test vehicle, which promoted atmospheric launch from a piggy 747 platform at Edwards Air Force Base on February 18, 1977, while others were installed on the Columbia shuttle, Challenger, Discovery , Atlantis and Endeavour.
Fairchild Republic expands commuter passenger plane participation in Swearingen Metro, signed an agreement to launch SF-340 with Saab-Scania of Sweden on January 25, 1980, the first comprehensive joint venture between U.S. and European aviation manufacturers enterprise. Fairchild Republic was contracted to design and manufacture its wings, engine nacelle and vertical and horizontal tail surfaces, with final assembly in Sweden.
Fairchild Swearingen was named head of North American marketing, and Saab-Fairchild HB, a co-owned Swedish company, opened an office in Paris to perform this role elsewhere.
The aircraft is powered by a twin-turboprop engine and can seat 34 passengers in a side-by-side configuration of four with a central aisle.
However, after completing the assembly of about 100 wings, Fairchild terminated its contract work with the regional airliner, withdrew from all civilian projects and renamed the aircraft the Saab 340.
8. Role change:
On March 31, 1969, after the Republican Airport passed the ownership torch, it was operated by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), which continued to convert it to public use by acquiring 94 acres of land from the US government and privately purchasing 115 acres Owned south and southwest of the entity.
The Long Island Republic Airport Historical Society said: "The Metropolitan Transportation Authority takes Republic Airport as a first step to transform it into general aviation (on-site)."
After starting the modernization program, it made some improvements. For example, high-intensity lights are installed on 5516 feet of runway 1-19 and 6,827 feet of runway 14-32, the latter also equipped with instrument landing system (ILS). The airport's original structure, the Fulton Truck Factory, was built in 1916 when it was razed, and Flightways converted a 10-acre site on the north side of Highway 109 into a new hangar, administrative Buildings, fuel storage tanks and plane abductions. A two-story administrative, terminal and maintenance building opened in 1983, not far from and shortly after the 100-foot, $ 2.2 million FAA control tower's operational phase.
In order to promote the economic development of the surrounding area, on April 1, 1983, the New York State Legislature transferred ownership to the New York State Department of Transportation (DOT) for the third time, a commission proposed by a 9-member Republic Airport. It has hardly reduced the momentum of modernization.
Indeed, eight years later, the $ 3.5 million, 25,600-square-foot Grumman hangar replaced aircraft storage facilities previously maintained at the now-closed Bethpage airport and accommodated Beechcraft King Air, Gulfstream I and two British NASA-125-800 seconds, open.
In April 1993, the US $ 3.3 million, 20,000-square-foot SUNY Farmingdale Aviation Education Center broke ground on the east side of Highway 110.
Executive Air Support's subsidiary Million Air built an 11,700 square foot Executive Air Terminal and corporate hangar at the southern end of the airport. By 2001, Air East began operating with its own new radial aircraft. The heated 10,000-square-foot hangar also houses 2500-square-foot shops and 4,500-square-foot offices and flight schools. Another hangar and office building in the Lambert area opened in June 2005 when charter company Talon Air began operations.
To provide clearance services for the latest generation of business jets, such as the Gulfstream V and Bombardier Global Express, taxiway B (Bravo) was relocated.
In fact, capital improvements have exceeded $ 18 million since 2000 alone.
These enhancements provide the airport with new general aviation functions, which may bode well for the future.
In 1982, the Fairchild Republic won a contract to build two next-generation Air Force T-46A training jets; however, this milestone, originally considered a lifeline of money, could only have the opposite effect: Although the prototype was the first time in three years Launched, but missing about 1,200 parts, and despite the second successful 24-minute first flight in July of 1986, the plan's contract was full of controversy, the contract was cancelled and 500 people were laid off.
Like many companies that rely on military contracts to survive, the Fairchild Republic has no choice but to cease to exist the following year, leaving behind a sprawling factory and a legacy that was passed on 60 years ago. Ironically, the two names that played the biggest role in the beginning and development of the airport were "Fairchild" and "Republic". The doors of Farmingdale's mainly military aircraft manufacturing and testing department were closed, while General Aviation's door opened.
Ken Newbeck said: "Fairchild terminated the SF-340 and T- with just four aircraft built as the company encountered significant financial problems from 1986-1987 and lost support for the T-46A plan in Congress. 46A production. "And Leroy E. Douglas in the manufacture of aircraft in Farmingdale (p. 99). "As a result, by the fall of 1987, Farmingdale's aircraft had been manufactured for 70 years, ending with employment and economic losses in the community and the New York Metropolitan Area."
In 1966, one year after ownership of the Republic Airport was transferred from Fairchild Hiller to Farmingdale Corporation, it was officially designated as a General Aviation (civilian) facility. The aircraft's first landing was a twin-engine Beechcraft operated by Islip's Ramey Air Service on December 7. In order to transform New York's three major airports into a gateway by facilitating flight connections, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority signed a contract with Air Spur to provide this feeder service four years later at a shared one-way fare of $ 12.
Although Republic has never been envisaged as a major commercial airport, Long Island's central location, proximity to Highway 110 corridors, and sturdy infrastructure make it a limited, regular and charter area ready to serve the state Serving major business and leisure destinations. However, its inherent operational limitations have been clearly identified in the 2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update.
It explained: "At Republic Airport, Chapter 3, Page 8", the New York State Department of Transportation imposed a 60,000-pound aircraft weight limit in 1984. This weight limit restricts the operation of aircraft exceeding the actual total weight of 60,000 pounds without the written consent of the airport operator. "
The master plan update states that "forecasts indicate that the number of jets at the Republic airport will increase and that jet operations will increase," which was finally confirmed by annual pure jet operations statistics: 2,792 in fiscal year 1986, 4,056 in 1990, 4,976 in 1995, and 6,916 in 1998. In addition, this segment is also the fastest-growing segment of the average number of basic aircraft in this area (about 500): 10 jets in 1985, 15 in 1995, and 20 in 1998. Since then, that number has more than doubled.
One of the earliest scheduled flight attempts was carried out in 1978, when a single cabin, four-person side-by-side former Finnair Convair CV-340 and two former Swissair CV-440 metropolitan airlines provided all-inclusive, stand-alone bookings Charter flights from Atlantic City to Atlantic City. Its flyer suggested: "The net price to Atlantic City is only $ 19.95. How it works: Pay a $ 44.95 round-trip ticket to and from Atlantic City, including ground transportation to and from the Claridge Hotel and Casino. Upon arrival at Claridge, You'll get a $ 20.00 food and drink credit at any restaurant except the London Pavilion, plus you'll get a $ 5.00 flight credit for your next fight with Claridge at Metropolitan Airlines When using. "
The carrier also tried to provide regular round-trip Boston flights twice a day on the 1980-seat CV-440, a 52-seater airliner.
The construction of passenger stations is the basis for promoting this scheduled service growth.
"The terminal was completed in 1983 and has approximately 50,000 square feet of usable floor space. It houses airport service vehicles, maintenance, fire protection, public terminals and rental areas on the first floor and an administrative office on the second floor. 70 Employees work in the building, "updated in accordance with the 2000 Republic Airport master plan (Chapter 1, page 17).
In order to establish a link between Farmingdale and Newark International's major New York metropolitan airports for aircraft takeoffs, PBA Provincetown Boston Airlines began providing a Cessna C-402 commuter shuttle service to connect Long Island via a 30-minute air route Make up to 5 daily round trips with PEOPLExpress airlines and arrange a schedule. It promotes avoiding excessive driving time, parking costs and longer check-in requirements that would otherwise be associated with greater airport usage and facilitates passes, ticketing and baggage checks for all PEOPLExpress final destinations.
According to the timetable of the Northern System on June 20, 1986, it provided flights from Farmingdale in 0700, 0950, 1200, 1445 and 1755.
Demand soon forced the C-402 to switch to the larger 19-seat Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante.
All of these brief, scheduled attempts were unsuccessful, which invalidated local residents. Concerns that the Republic will eventually develop into a major commercial airport and cause noise in the immediate vicinity did not attract enough attention to attract the necessary traffic to make it self-sufficient, highlighting airport-specific factors.
1). The Republic has been associated with general rather than scheduled actions late in its history.
2). Long Island MacArthur has established itself as the island's main commercial facility, and as Precision / Northwest Airlink has proven, carriers have not gained any revenue advantage by diluting the same market, but doing so has increased airports and operating costs.
According to the "Republic Airport Master Plan Update 2000", "The Republic Airport has served multiple commuter airlines, and each airline has ceased service …". "Considering larger airports such as LaGuardia, Kennedy and MacArthur airports and the services they provide, the commuter services market area is geographically limited."
It also said: "Since 1969, the Republic Airport has served the region's needs for civil and business jets, as well as charter and commuter operations." (Chapter 1, page 1). "Because the Republic is located in a residential, commercial and industrial development, its role is inconsistent with the scheduled commercial jet carrier airport."
As the number of passengers per year has been increasing, from 13,748 in 1985 and 30,564 in 1990 to 33,854 in 1995, the role of future commuters cannot be completely ruled out.
It concluded: "Although past efforts by commuter airlines have not been successful, the potential for future services still exists and should be considered in airport planning." (Chapter 2, page 10).
The fields of Roosevelt and Glenn Curtiss succumbed to the pressure of the modern era, replacing the runway with a large shopping mall, while the 526-acre republic surrendered only a small portion of its own to the Airport Plaza Shopping Centre. It played an important role in the development of early aviation and the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Gulf War, and the Iraq War. It was transformed into a general aviation facility, peaked with 546 aircraft, and became the third largest New York airport after Kennedy International Airport. LaGuardia
The general aviation facility at the westernmost point of Long Island is hailed as the "Long Island 21st Century Business Enterprise Aircraft Bridge", providing 1,370 jobs and bringing in US $ 139.6 million in economic activity to support 60 airport operations. The 110,974 movements recorded in 2008 included 52 non-rigid airships, 7,120 rotors, 76,236 single-pistons, 6,310 double-pistons, 5,028 turboprops and 16,228 pure jets. The latter is its second-highest total, emphasizing its increasingly important role as "Teterboro of Long Island", which may point the way for the future. Indeed, the company considering the company's location as the company's location has the airport as its main asset because it provides close air passages for people and supplies.
Toward that end, the State of New York approved funding in April of 2009 for a Vision Planning process to collect data from residents, employees, businesses, and users, and then plot its future course. Specifically, the program had a three-fold purpose -namely, to define the airport & # 39; s role, to determine how it will fill that role, and, finally, to ascertain how it will work with the community to attain the desired operational and economic goals.
"As part of the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS), Republic Airport is designated as a reliever airport with commercial service," according to the 2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update (Chapter 1, p. 1). "Under ownership by the New York State Department of Transportation, there are specific state development and policy procedures which are followed. "
Although it may never eclipse its current general aviation role, its importance was not to be underestimated.
"" Republic Airport is an important regional asset, "it stated (Chapter 1, p. 1)." It provides significant transportation and economic benefits to both Suffolk and Nassau counties. The policy of the New York State Department of Transportation and the Republic Airport Commission shall be that Republic Airport continue to better serve Long Island. "
Whatever the future holds for it, it has a nine-decade foundation upon which to base it, as acknowledged by the plaque hung in the passenger terminal by the Long Island-Republic Airport Historical Society, "honor (ing) the tens of thousands of men and women who labored here in East Farmingdale, contributing significantly to aviation technology and aircraft production. "Those men and woman turned the wheels of the 11 aviation companies based there.
Long Island Republic Airport Historical Society website.
Neubeck, Ken, and Douglas, Leroy E. Airplane Manufacturing in Farmingdale. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing, 2016.
2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update, New York State Department of Transportation.