Richardson Murder Case

She was a former New York City actress Abby Sage. But after ex-husband Daniel McFarland's murder of his lover at Richardson's workplace in the New York Tribune on November 25, 1869, journalist Albert Richardson It is the sage lifestyle that is respected, not just McFarland.

Daniel McFarland was born in Ireland in 1820, but he moved to the United States with his parents when he was four years old. McFarland's parents died at the age of 12, leaving him orphaned. McFarland is determined to do his own thing in the United States, doing hard work in a wiring harness store, saving money for college. By the age of 17, McFarland had saved enough cash to be able to attend the famous Ivy League school Dartmouth. McFarland studied law in Dartmouth and has done well. After graduating, McFarland passed the bar exam, but McFarland did not practice law, but taught at Brandywine College, teaching eloquence-clarity of expression.

In 1853, McFarland traveled to Manchester, New Hampshire, where he met a very beautiful 15-year-old girl named Abby Sage. Abby came from a poor but respectable family-her father was a weaver-but Abby was smart, and soon she became a teacher and publishing writer. Four years after they met, McFarland and Abby Sage married. She is only 19 years old, and he is twice her age.

Abby later wrote in an affidavit on the murder of McFarland: "When we were married, Mr. McFarland told me that he had a vigorous legal business, With bright political prospects and $ 30,000 worth of property, he was forced to borrow money in New York during our bridal tour, which allowed us to travel to Madison, Wisconsin, our future home. We live in this town, But for a short time, he acknowledged that he had no legal consequences and that he only focused on land speculation, some of which had disastrous consequences. "

In February 1858, McFarlands moved to New York City. McFarland told Abby that in New York City, he has a greater chance of selling properties he owns in Wisconsin worth $ 20,000 to $ 30,000. However, McFarlane initially found nothing, and soon Abby had to pawn most of her jewelry to pay the rent. With bills piled up and no money to come in, McFarland thought it best to go alone. As a result, McFarland returned Abby to her father's home in New Hampshire. In late 1858, McFarland was finally able to sell some of its properties in Wisconsin. Shortly thereafter, he brought Abby back to New York, where they settled in a rented cabin in Brooklyn. There, their eldest son Percy was born in 1860, and their second son Daniel was born in 1864.

McFarland's land sales business was sluggish and he started drinking heavily. Abby later wrote: "In the beginning, Mr. McFarland gave me the most luxurious and enthusiastic dedication, but soon he started drinking heavily, and his breathing and body were full before we were married for a year. He had bad wine. He cried, "My brain is on fire, and wine makes me fall asleep. "

When the civil war began, McFarlands returned briefly to Madison, Wisconsin. Soon, McFarland realized that, with the right circumstances and some training, his beautiful young wife would be the better paid of both. To implement his plan, McFarlands returned to New York City with the goal of educating Abby as an actress.

In New York City, Abby was struggling with dramatic reading, and she found she was talented on the stage. One thing led to another, and soon Abby starred in several plays, earning $ 25 a week. Abby's career grew so quickly that she soon appeared opposite Edwin Booth, the great actor of the Venetian merchants [Edwin Booth, the man who killed Abraham Lincoln, John Brother of John Wilkes Booth. Abby also wrote several articles about children and nature to supplement her income. She even wrote a book after her son Percy An anthology of poems, titled Percy's Rhymes.

Abby's artistic achievements have expanded her circle of friends. She became a newspaper tycoon Horace Greeley, his sister, Mrs. John Cleveland, and New York Tribune publisher Samuel Sinclair and his wife were quick and good friend.

However, his wife's success did not appease McFarland's wildness. He used his wife's new friends and connections between them to get political appointments. Abby later said: "Under the influence of New York Tribune founder Horace Greeley, I worked with a dean for him [McFarland]."

Soon, McFarland was jealous of Abby's new friend, and his drinking increased exponentially. McFarland kept all the money that Abby made and wrote, all spent on wine. McFarland started to open Abby's private mail, and if he didn't like what he read, he would threaten to kill Abby and himself.

Abby said, "At this time, he has become a demon." "He will lie on the bed, tearing the clothes on the bed into pieces, threatening to kill me. When he is exhausted, he will cry crying I forgive and then fall asleep. "

Once, McFarland became so angry that he hit Abby's face hard, which caused her to fall. Since then, their relationship has changed dramatically.

Abby said: "His eyes made him burst into tears and he begged me to forgive him frantically." "But from that moment, I can never tell him that I love him or forgive him, because that is not the truth."

In January 1867, McFarlands moved into a boarding house at 72 Youshan Street, New York City. Shortly thereafter, Albert Deane Richardson, then in his thirties, moved into the same boarding house. Richardson has been known to Abby because they met at the Sinclairs' home. Richardson, with an orange beard and hazel eyes, is considered a very high-quality figure.

Richardson was born in Massachusetts and was one of the most famous journalists of the time. He is best known for his work as a field correspondent for the New York Tribune during the Civil War, and he also spent some time as a spy in the north. Richardson was captured by the South in Vicksburg in 1862, and he spent one and a half years in two separate league prisons. When Richardson and another war correspondent were imprisoned in Salisbury, North Carolina, in December 1863, they escaped from the prison and walked 400 miles until they reached Knoxville United Line of defense. Richardson had a wife and four children when he was in prison. When he returned home, he found that his wife and baby daughter had died. Richardson provided care and support for the other three children, who were thirteen, ten and six when he died.

Richardson returned to the New York Tribune's desk and used his civil war heroes to write about escape. The headline of his newspaper article was "Out of the Shadow of Death, Out of Hell's Mouth". It is considered one of the best news during the Civil War. Richardson expanded this article into a book, and combined with other works, Richardson transformed himself from a prisoner of war to a rich man. So much so that Richardson bought a stake in the New York Tribune and made himself a minority shareholder in the newspaper.

When Richardson and McFarlands moved to the same boarding house, he was now the editor and writer of the New York Tribune. [Editor's note: In 1980, I was a reincarnation sports columnist for The New York Tribune.] Richardson used his room at 72 Amy Street as an office and a place to sleep. Among his staff at 72 Friendly Street, Richardson hired a stenographer, an artist and a messenger boy to deliver his work to the New York Tribune office in Park Row.

On February 19, 1867, McFarland returned to the dormitory, and his wife stood outside Richardson's door. Abby claimed that Richardson and she were discussing one of his articles, but McFarland did not.

Abby later wrote: "When we entered the apartment, my husband was furious and insisted that there was an improper intimacy between Mr. Richardson and me."

McFarland immediately went on a three-day detour, where he threatened Abby's life again and said he would commit suicide. Finally on February 21st, Abby left McFarland permanently. She caught two children and lived with Mr. Samuel Sinclair and his wife.

In Sinclairs, Abby called her father, who now lives in Massachusetts and briefed him. The two sides agreed to invite McFarland to join Sinclair's residence. In front of Sinclair and her father, Abby told McFarland that their marriage had ended.

That night, Richardson called Sinclair's residence. Richardson expressed condolences to Abby and said he would do everything he could when she needed help. Then as he was leaving, Abby followed him into the corridor.

She said with tears, "You are very kind to me. I cannot repay you."

"How do you feel about facing the world with two children?" Richardson said of Abby's two children.

She replied, "A woman looks difficult, but I'm sure no one is better than being with him."

Richards told Abbey before leaving: "I hope you remember that you have chosen to take any of my responsibilities in any possible future and I will be happy to take them."

Two days later, Richardson asked Abby to marry him and told her that he wanted to give her own motherless children her care.

Abby later said: "It's absolutely impossible that I don't love him."

On the evening of March 13, 1867, Richardson met Abby in the theater where he had just performed. As they turned, McFarland rushed behind and fired three shots. One of them pierced Richardson's thigh. It was a superficial wound, and Richardson's injury was not serious. McFarland was arrested by the police, but McFarland managed to escape the jail time due to some inexplicable transactions by the court.

When McFarland became apparent that his wife had lost him forever, he decided to sue to raise two children. The court made a disagreement decision that Abby would be under the guardianship of Daniel and McFarland-Percy. In April 1868, Abby tried to meet her son Percy, but was rejected by McFarland. McFarland was furious and threatened to beat her. At this point, Abby had no choice but to file a divorce.

In New York State, the only reason for divorce is adultery. Therefore, in July 1868, Abby decided to go to Indiana to divorce, where the grounds for divorce were more extensive. These reasons include drunkenness, extreme cruelty and inability to raise a wife. Abby spent 16 months in Indiana until her divorce with McFarland ended. Abby then went to her family's home in Massachusetts, where Richardson met her and spent Thanksgiving 1869 with her and her family.

At 5:15 pm on November 25, 1869, McFarland walked into the Park Street office of the New York Tribune. He hid quietly in the corner for about 15 minutes until he saw Richardson enter through the side door of Spruce Street. While Richardson was reading the mail at the counter, McFarland rushed up and fired a few shots at him. Richardson was hit three times, but he was still able to walk two flights of stairs to the editorial office, where he fell to the sofa himself and was killed by a bullet in his chest. When medical staff arrived, Richardson was taken over the town hall to Astor House and lay on the bed in room 115.

At 10 pm, McFarland was arrested in Room 31 of the Westmoreland Hotel on the corner of Seventeenth and Fourth Streets. Captain AJ Allaire told McFarland that he had been arrested for shooting Richardson. McFarland initially said he was not guilty. Then he said in shock: "It must be me."

Captain Allaire detained McFarland and took him to AstorHouse in Room 115. After Captain Allaire asked Richardson if the person in front was his attacker, Richardson looked up weakly from the pillow and said, "That person!"

Abby Sage was summoned to New York City immediately. Upon her arrival, at the request of Richardson, Horace Greeley made arrangements so that Abby and Richardson could marry after Richardson's death. The wedding ceremony was chaired by Rev. Henry Ward Beecher and Rev. OB Frothingham. Three days later, on December 2, Richardson held his breath, leaving the legacy of Abby Richardson.

Prior to McFarland's trial, his defense attorney John Graham told New York media that Abby Sage's intentions for Richardson were by no means glorious. "This gentle and touching marriage is a terrible and shameful ritual to obtain the property of a dying man, which often hastened his demise," Graham said.

At first, Richardson's compatriots in New York City defended Richardson's honor, and they began to delve into McFarland's life in an attempt to find something that would make McFarland lose his reputation. The New York Tribune wrote that McFarlane "has the habit of eating opium to drown his sadness."

However, the New York Sun carried out a publicity campaign that discredited Abby and Richardson. The Sun accused Richardson of enticing Abby to leave her dear husband in an editorial entitled "Public Rage Against Religion and Etiquette." The Sun even talked to the McFarlane brothers, saying: "Abby went to school just to have the opportunity to paint her face, work for beauty, and get along with the free-loving tribe of Sam Sinclair. S."

A media battle ensued, with most daily newspapers in New York City arguing that Richardson and Abby were immoral, while McFarland killed the man who stole his wife from him.

McFarland's trial began on April 4, 1820. Abby dropped out of the trial because she knew her husband's defense lawyer was on a mission to humiliate and notorious her. Graham, however, sought the jury's sympathy for his client by having McFarland's son Percy sit next to the jury during the trial.

Graham pleaded with the jury to understand the mental suffering the client was forced to endure. "The defendant's mental organization is so sensitive and gentle that he cannot cope with the grief and misfortune that awaits him. His speculation is disastrous, and the seeds of dissatisfaction begin to sow first," Graham said.

When Graham attacked Abby's virtues and honors, he became a major force in defense. "When she first met my client, she was just a poor female factory worker. But once she told my client that all I had to do was make me an elegant lady and be welcomed by the New York elite . # 39; "

Graham then told the jury that the turning point in customer life happened on February 21, 1867, when McFarland returned home at 3 pm and saw his wife leave Richardson's room.

Graham said: "This beautiful woman has been completely corrupted." "She once put the honor of the stage and aristocracy in front of her as a temptation. Then, she was too elegant and so popular that she was inconspicuous. Character, and the demon put her before all these temptations, and she has to pay for it. Richardson is with her soul "

Graham noted that McFarland's day at the New York Tribune's office had reached the boiling point of the client. An office boy wrote him a letter saying "Ms. McFarland". The boy mistakenly thought the letter was addressed to "Mr. McFarlane".

Graham told the jury: "My client opened the letter and read it carefully and found that it was a love letter from Boston's Richardson to Ms. McFarland. Richardson publicly stated in the letter that he intended to marry the woman. Ok Divorce Mr. McFarland. "

During the trial, prosecutors, under the leadership of a former judge, then MP, Noah Davis, focused on how McFarland abused his wife and occasionally beat her after marriage. In support of these claims, prosecutors summoned Abby's relatives and friends, including an influential man, Horace Greeley.

However, Greeley did not like the corrupt Democrat machine, Tammany Hall, and Greeley had repeatedly destroyed him in his newspaper. In return, Tammany Hall used their considerable influence before and during the trial to discredit Greeley and Abby.

In the final conclusion of the two-day jury, Graham tried to convince the jury that his client was only a victim of unbearable consequences.

"Evidence proves the insanity of the accused during the shootings," Graham said. "It was a state of mind he suffered as a result of the thought of losing his home, wife and children."

The jury bought Graham's incredible defense, just like Mark bought it into a three-car Monte Carlo game. On May 10, it took them only one hour and 55 minutes to make a acquittal based on insanity.

Despite her deep disappointment, Abby Sage Richardson remained firmly in New York City after the trial. She became a successful writer and playwright and has been well received in the literary and social communities. She also edited and published Richardson's unpublished books.

Abby also pledged to dying Richardson to raise her three children. She also raised her son, Daniel, whose name was changed to Willie [not related to his father, Daniel McFarland]. Abby's other son, Percy, left McFarland and returned to his mother. He changed his surname from McFarland to his mother's maiden name, Sage.

On December 5, 1900, Abby Sage Richardson died of pneumonia in Rome.

Daniel McFarland traveled west in 1880. He was last heard in Colorado, and there are no records of his death to date. But, according to historian Edmund Pearson, "it didn't take long to commit suicide by drinking."

Albert Richardson was buried in his hometown of Franklin, Massachusetts. Highlighted in Franklin is a monument to Richardson's heroic heroes during the Civil War. The inscription on the monument reads: "Many people thank you, who does not know your face, then, farewell, kind heart and truth."