Distant and distant, isolated barrier strips stretch along the coast of North Carolina for about 130 miles to form the Bund, rather than the causeway, the bridge and the continent to which the ferry is attached, more like a part of the Atlantic Ocean. Sand dunes in the sand, the sand dunes with the choppy winds sometimes undulating like turbulent boats, they become the starting point or end point of North America, depending on the direction of travel.
Depending on the definition of the land or the definition of the lack of land, the trip here may require sailing, fishing, kayaking, water skiing, parasailing, hang gliding, kite surfing, climbing sand dunes, watching dolphins and surfing. However, the most important thing is that it is the first place – the first British colonists left their footprints on the beach, the first pilots left footprints on the beach while conquering the flight, the sea, the dunes and the wind made it possible .
2. From the mountains to the coast
Despite these flat, muddy islands and plaques on the Bund, the towering Appalachian Mountains that rise in the west are no different, but it is the third peak that emerged from these peaks.
The river is a collection of rainwater that flows eastward from there and drops sharply from the edge of the second or lower topographical features of the foothills. Offshore water flows and then act like clay and molded. Their sediments originated from this mountain area 25,000 years ago, forming an island of isolation and its water-limited beaches.
Because the water flow is not static, their never-ending power constantly reshapes and repositions the masterpieces of these islands as they are subjected to the re-modeling of the wind and water hands. This dynamic phenomenon is the key to protecting their nature because they shield the more permanent continents and, like shock absorbers, they are often attacked by hurricanes and other bad weather systems.
These sounds were created and defined by natural forces, forming the second largest estuary system in the United States after Chesapeake Bay, covering nearly 3,000 square miles and 30,000 square miles of displacement.
The National Park Service said, “A small piece of broken islands is bent into the Atlantic Ocean and then returned to the shelters of the North Carolina continental coast and offshore islands.”
3. Access and direction
The Bund consists of northern beaches, including the towns of Kitty Hawk, Kiel Deville Hills and Nags Head. The Cape Hatteras National Seashore on Roanoke Island is itself composed of the Bodie, Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands.
Scheduled flights are provided to Norfolk and Raleigh-Durham International Airports in Virginia and North Carolina, respectively, while charter flights to Dell County Regional Airport on Roanoke Island. Private jets provide the first flight path at Kill Devil Hills and Billy Mitchell Airport on Hatteras Island.
Along the road, Highway 158 and White Memorial Bridge in the north of the United States and the US Embankment No. 64 pass through the 5.2-mile-long Virginia Adventure Bridge, Roanoke Island, Nags Head-Mantuo Causeway and Washington Baum Bridge West. Starting in the north, this route leads to the US 158 four-lane artery, which crosses a 16.5-mile island that leads to shops, shops, restaurants and attractions. The narrow two-lane NC 12 [also known as the “Beach Road”] serves residents' communities, hotels and restaurants, often with views of the Atlantic Ocean. This road has been on the island of Ocracoke along Hatteras Island and complementary ferries.
Despite the well-recognized beliefs and the opposite aviation history books, although the Wright Brothers remained in the village, Kitty Hawk did not become the world's first successful flight. Instead, this historic event took place in Kill Devil Hills, about four miles south of it. Despite this, there is still an aviation-related attraction next to the Ekko Brown Welcome Center, which itself provides information on brochures and travel plans for attractions, restaurants, entertainment venues, shops and hotels.
It was created by Icarus International as a monument designated as a hundred-year flight and was held on November 8, 2003 on the Centenary of Power Flight to celebrate the history of flying and the beauty of mankind, mystery and humanity. The spirit is soaring. The monument is situated in the open sky of the Kitty Hawk, creating a contemplative environment. The monument itself consists of 14 wing-shaped stainless steel towers that rise from 10 feet to 20 feet in a 120-foot track to reflect the Wright brothers. The first flight distance and on December 17, 1903, represented humans climbing into the sky and space.
The monument said: "Human being is the unity of the pioneers, it shares the eternal dreams and the infinite possibilities of the vast undeveloped world."
The black granite panels are engraved with the 100 most important aviation achievements of the last century. The central six-foot-diameter dome depicts the continents of the earth and is engraved with the following words: "When Orville Wright from Kitty· When Kitty Hawk was lifted from the sand dunes at the age of 10, on the morning of December 17, 1903: 35: We are heading to the moon and further afield."
5. Kill the Devil's Hill
Of course, Kill Devil Hills is the world's first power, control and continuous flight location, paying homage to the Wright Brothers National Memorial, 158 in the United States.
Although the Wrights grew up in Dayton, Ohio, they conducted all early unpowered [gliders] and power [aircraft] flight tests in North Carolina because it provided high sand dunes for pedal launches. Strong winds generate lift at minimal ground speed, soft sand for wheelless, minimally damaged landings, and isolation from the press and audience.
According to the museum of the Visitor Center [sports exhibition, 1902 glider and replica of the 1903 Wright Flyer, the National Park Service's talks and programs, and a book/gift shop], the brothers were inspired by and based on the four formers. Pioneer of aerodynamics: Sir George Kelly [1773-1857], who laid the foundations of aerodynamics; Alphonse Penaud [1850-1880], who built a rubber band The flat phone model and flew 131 feet. Otto Lilienthal [1848–1896] has conducted extensive glider experiments; and Octave Chanute [1832-1910], which became the virtual data exchange for all aviation-related developments. And published it in the book "Advances in Aircraft". The Wright Brothers biplane taxiing is actually his own virtual copy.
According to the museum, the memorial is the birthplace of aviation. It claims: "On December 17, 1903, Wilbur and Orville Wright performed the first successful, power-driven flight in world history." "Wrights believe that human escape is Possible, and can be achieved through systematic research."
This systematic approach, combined with intuitive mechanical capabilities and analytical intelligence, enables them to understand relative weightlifting and thrust relative to resistance, but more importantly, only by controlling its three lateral, vertical and vertical axes. Overcome the flight. Lack of understanding has caused all previous experimenters to fail.
By designing the control surfaces to tame them to maintain the stability of the aircraft, they were able to deform the unpowered glider and launch hundreds of feet from nearby Kill Devil Hill to form the successful Wright Flyer.
The two reconstructed buildings represent the Wright Brothers camp in 1903, with a hangar on the left and a workshop and living area on the right, with a stove, a sloppy kitchen, pantry, table and ladder that can be hung up. Hemp rope from the after child used as a bunk
The commemorative granite boulders mark the takeoff points of four successful flights on December 17, 1903, and the markings on the field indicate the distance of each person and the air time required to reach them.
When Wilbur served as a "ground crew" and stabilized his wing, Wright took control of the Orright, and Orville left at 10:35 am on that historic day. The takeoff orbit took 120 feet in 12 seconds, and Wilbur personally drove 175 feet in the same time. The penultimate battle flew 200 feet in 15 seconds, the last and the longest flight of 59 seconds and 852 feet. Since then, the damage of the aircraft and the severity of the weather at the end of the season prevented the aircraft from further testing and the brothers returned to Ohio.
According to the boulder erected by the National Aeronautics Association on December 17, 1928 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the event, "In 1903, Orville Wright successfully completed the first flight of the aircraft at this location, by Wilbur Wright and A machine designed and manufactured by Orville Wright."
The former sand dunes and dunes that protruded from the first flying boulder were still affected by the wind like Wright's glider and power design, and were now replaced by sloping green fields, but the aerodynamics clearly swept through the delicate The place's grasstips still make them sway in memory more than a century later.
From the takeoff point [marked by the launch track] to the distance between the fourth and farthest marks, a footstep is required to give the human foot, but in 1903, its wings covered the wings used by the birds. . The Wrights thus succeeded in crossing human and animal species as machines.
The 60-foot-tall monument is mounted on a 90-foot-tall, grass-covered hillside of Kill Devil Hill, opposite the first flight airport and 3,000 feet long. It is the starting point for Wright's hundreds of unpowered gliders. .
They wrote at the time: "…the sand blinded us." "It blew the ground in the clouds. We certainly can't complain about this place. We came here because of the sand, we got them."
Wright Flyer's full-size stainless steel sculpture, located at the bottom of the hill, weighs far more than the original aircraft and weighs 10,000 pounds, depicting the historic first flight of photographer John Daniels from the local lifeguard station, the only photo ever to be filmed.
The Centennial Hall is located in the Visitor Center, opposite the combined parking lot of the museum and the flight room, offering film, air and Bund exhibitions.
6. g head
Just a few miles south of Killer Mountain in Nags Head, is another flight-related attraction, the Jockey Club's Ridge State Park.
One of the 35 state parks in North Carolina and four entertainment areas, extending from the Mitchell Hill, the highest peak in the west, to the Saima Ridge in the east. The 425-acre facility has the highest sand dunes along the coast and has been elevated for many years. From 90 feet to 110 feet.
Its visitor centre houses a museum that houses photographs of the dunes and their evolution, as well as exhibitions of flora and fauna in the area, while two hiking trails provide direct access to the park: 45 minutes of Sanders De Nature Trail and a 1.5 mile long trail in the sand. But its gem is undoubtedly the sand dune itself, and is synonymous with gliding. Killing Ghost Mountain is the birthplace of power flight, and Nags Head is also the starting point for unpowered personal flight, because this sport is derived from this in many ways.
Francis Rogallo, like the Wright Brothers, laid the foundation for the sport for nearly 50 years before him and is therefore considered the "father of modern gliding." In order to make it affordable for everyone, he slid into the sky on a temporary glider in 1948. The glider's wings were assembled from his wife's kitchen curtains, claiming: "My intention is to have everyone have Opportunity to experience the flight."
Follow Wright's footsteps on the beach until they disappear into the sky, using the same pedaling technique, less than five miles from the pedaling technique used to kill Kill Devil Hills.
Founded in 1974, Kitty Hawk Kites serves the jockey's ridge, teaches footstep launching and towing hang gliding procedures, and is now the world's largest such flight school with 300,000 books on the roster. a student.
Initially, qualified instructor lectures included ground briefings, dune foot launches and glide at 5 to 15 feet high.
The longest hang gliding competition, the Hanging Gliding Competition, is held every year in Johor Bahrain.
7. Roanoke Island
Roanoke Island is sandwiched between the northern beaches of the Bund and the Dare continent. It is 8 miles long and 2 miles wide. It is the location of the first British settlement on the New World and has many attractions. Interpret it.
Manteo is a commercial and government hub, a quaint seaside town full of artists, fishermen, inns, bed and breakfasts, cafes, gift shops, galleries, restaurants, boardwalks and Shallowbag Bay's 53-slide pier, street The name reflects history, such as Queen Elizabeth Street and Sir Walter Raleigh Street.
It was named after the chief of the Croatan, who returned with the first British explorers at the end of the 16th century and merged into a town in 1899, with some of its own attractions. For example, the Mulan Market is an open-air pavilion for town-sponsored events. Located on Queen Elizabeth Avenue, The Tranquil House Inn is similar to the 19th-century Majestic Bund Waterfront Hotel, offering Cypriot woodwork, beveled stained glass, a back porch with bay views, a canopy bed, and a continental breakfast. Afternoon wine and cheese, as well as your own 1587 restaurant.
Another attraction is the North Carolina Maritime Museum, the outpost of Beaufort's main museum, located in the George Washington Cliff Houseboat, overlooking the Crodan Strait. Before the 1939 fire, the area was once home to the Manteo shipbuilding industry. The current structure was built by Creef's son in the second year to repair the father's designed sha ship and later became the state's official ship.
Not only is it a museum workshop, but it also provides an opportunity for visitors to observe the work of mainly volunteers to restore and rebuild wooden hulls, despite the display of fish boats and other souvenirs.
The boardwalk leads to another attraction in the town, the Roanoke Marsh Lighthouse. Between 1877 and 1955, on the south side of the island, in the Roanoke Swamp area, the square, cabin-style spiral pile lighthouse was externally modified to guide ships through Pamlico and Crodan A narrow passage between the sounds of the island [Croatan]. Year, but was swallowed up by water during the attempt to relocate.
The current replica comes with a fixed white light fourth-order Fresnel lens that was put into production in 2004. During this period, Mayor John Wilson said: "In the next few years, as the islanders and the Manteo waterfront tourists are mixed together, we must remember that there have been so many built and launched waters in this area. Where the ship is, the dream is still shining… The lighthouse now projects its reassuring beam into the night sky…"
Lighthouse and ocean history photos and exhibits can be read carefully inside.
Quickly enter Queen Elizabeth Avenue and cross the Cora Mae Bas Bridge to Roanoke Island Festival Park, a 25-acre outdoor, historical and historical complex that celebrates the United States The first settlement in the United States and offers a variety of recreational activities.
For example, its American Indian town depicts the coastal Algonga culture, which developed on Roanoke Island and its surrounding areas for thousands of years until the 1500s, when its nomadic hunter's lifestyle was Transform into a more sedentary, agriculture-based lifestyle.
No written language. Therefore, first-hand information on British explorers, undiscovered archaeological remains in the area, as well as storytelling and hand-made oral traditions provide the basis for the park's exhibitions.
Under the rule of Queen Elizabeth I, organized by Sir Walter Raleigh, but the first expedition led by Captain Arthur Barlow and scientist Thomas Harriot arrived in the coast of New World in 1584 and recorded their own The impression of the possessed land hopes to colonize. Small replicas of Indian towns represent the type they encounter.
The main structure of any Algonquian settlement is a “vigilant” or “leader” house that is subdivided into internal peripheral areas for public use and used as a guest reception and entertainment area, as well as internal Rooms, private events here such as high-level meetings and family events.
The wife of the local leader Granganimeo greeted several British explorers and then took them to the outer room of the house, where they were heated by the fire, washed their feet, washed their clothes and then taken to the inner room. A feast.
Another typical settlement structure is the longhouse. The bark of the young tree is stripped from the bark, which is supported by the tree stems. It uses a curved roof to reduce its vulnerability to the wind, and its tree stems are tied to the rope. Then cover the frame with a reed or bark mat.
The mat or animal skin also covers the small door to reduce heat loss.
Around the long house, there are other houses, outdoor cooking and dining areas, and workplaces, usually corn and other staple foods on the ground.
Typically, settlements provide support between 100 and 200 villagers, and settlements are evacuated when the land in which they live is no longer arable, although the arable nature is usually restored during the decade between renunciation and reinstitution. .
The cock and food preparation exhibitions, canoes and fishing rods further illustrate the lives of Indians.
Perhaps the highlight of the Roanoke Island Festival Park is the Elizabeth II boat moored in the bay, which, like other attractions, is carried by well-prepared interpreters.
Built in 1983, the replica spans the bay and is located at the North Carolina Maritime Museum. It is 69 feet long and 17 feet wide and was the combination of the popular San Francisco merchant ships. Thomas Cavendish mortgaged his property to fund the type originally built by the colonists of the second expedition , the ship commemorating the 400th anniversary of the event and employing manual work in the keel Chiseled juniper wood and locust wood nails, frames and planks. Although this relatively small vessel is mainly used for European trade navigation, with a displacement of 50 tons and a main mast of 65 feet, it also crossed the high seas.
Between 1584 and 1590, eight British expeditions were carried out, conquering 22 ships and 1,200 soldiers, sailors and colonists [including 28 women and children].
The settlement of the complex represents the first British military base on American soil, with a sergeant's tent, a forge and blacksmith shop, a lathe constructed with feet and ropes, and a fence.
In addition to these exhibitions, the Roanoke Island Festival Park also has a visitor centre. The film "Two Ways Legend"; Roanoke Adventure Museum; and an important gift shop.
The first batch of British immigrants was elaborated on the Fort Laurie National Historic Site, another important attraction on Roanoke Island.
Although Sir Walter Raleigh himself has never ventured into the new world, as previously stated, Queen Elizabeth I granted him the charter and in 1584 launched the first of the three so-called "Roanoke Sailing" to the United States. Colonize the chosen sites, build a camp, raid the Spanish ships, and look for precious metals such as gold. It arrived in July.
After returning to England, Captain Arthur Baroway said in a report to Sir Walter Raleigh that the island was identified as the best location due to its protected coast and its land was favored.
He wrote: "We found this to be the most pleasant and fertile land, filled with cedar wood and various other sweet woods filled with black currant, flax and many famous commodities… the soil is the most abundant and sweetest soil The whole world is fruitful and healthy."
The second expedition sent 108 soldiers in the second year to prove the final requirements of England.
In order to achieve this more permanent settlement, an earthen fortress was built on the north side of the island, but when they began to succumb to the disease and winter introduced by English, the previous friendly relationship with the Native Americans declined, while in the United States. This is not a lot of money. As the weather warms, crops and food make colonists increasingly dependent on Native Americans until the relationship is tense. The death of the Chief of Wingate, this is the most crucial event in the history of the colony that just started. This seal marks the fate of Europeans, and they have since been declared "enemies."
The promised supply ship was obviously late, prompting them to seize the opportunity to return to England for the first time – when Sir Francis Drake sailed to Roanoke Island, the opportunity came out. However, there are still 15 colonists who continue to monitor the fortresses and land they have claimed.
In 1587, the third expedition crossed the Atlantic again, with 117 men, women and children pledging to establish separate land with a view to establishing a permanent settlement and more representing the actual population.
However, only sailing back to Roanoke Island to resupply the original No. 15 ship, and then to the inland to build their own village, they found no trace.
John White, who was appointed governor of the New Colony, returned to England, originally intended for a short supply trip, but due to conflicts [including vessels lacking navigation], he was unable to re-start until 1590. And in the early 17th century, no lost colonists were found, and they apparently left only abandoned fortresses and some artifacts.
However, if they choose to leave the area or an unforeseen event proves to be harmful to their safety, they are instructed to give notice, for which purpose the letter "CRO" is engraved on the tree and the word "CROATAN" appears. On the doorpost, it refers to both the local tribe and the reason for its disappearance.
Although the excavation continued, no clear reasons were found, leaving three hypotheses: they died of natural causes, were attacked or voluntarily left, but in fact whether this is the third place where the assumptions have not yet been determined The theory is true.
Part of the story is told through artifacts discovered during the excavation excavation and displayed in the Lindsay Warren Visitors Center Museum, the highlight of which is the decorative wood paneling of the Elizabethan manor, which was once in England. It was decorated on the walls of Heronden Hall in Kent, purchased by William Randolph Hearst in 1926 for his castle in San Simeon, California. The National Park Service purchased it in the 1960s. Rooms like the Visitor Center are already commonplace in the homes of wealthy people, such as Sir Walter Raleigh himself.
The outdoor trail leads to the foundation of the reconstructed earthen fortress. According to the previous stone inscription, "At this location," from July to August 1585, Sir Walter Raleigh built a fortress from England called the "New Fortress of Virginia". These colonists were the first settlers of the American English race. They returned to England in July 1586 with Sir Francis Drake, born near this place on August 18, 1587, Virginia Dale, British parents. The first child. Born in the United States. ”
The history of the earliest British immigrants, known as the "Lost Colony", known as the "Lost Colony", has a long history and is described as "a true story of adventure, courage and sacrifice" from late May to late May. In August, it was held at the outdoor waterside theatre at the Fort Laurie National Historic Site. According to Pulitzer Prize-winning author Pau l Green, it first performed in 1937, but has been running since then and employs more than 100 actors, singers and dancers who have reshaped The first colonists were missing through royal festivals, Indian dances, epic battles, Elizabethan music and fine costumes.
Another local attraction is Elizabethan Gardens, a 10.5-acre botanical garden with paved stones and sand and more than a thousand trees, shrubs and flowers.
According to the museum, “the creation was to commemorate the British colonists who first added to the coast,” the museum explained. “History, mystery and fantasy are combined in these special gardens created by the North Carolina Garden Club in 1951. As a living memorial, the first British colonists who explored the New World from 1584 to 1587 and settled on Roanoke Island."
According to the slogan in front of the garden entrance and the gift shop gate, “a performance of the “Lost Colonial Symphony Outdoor Drama” was infused with the seeds of the original imagination of the garden.”
There are many highlights in this tranquil oasis. For example, the statue of Queen Elizabeth I is the largest statue in the world to commemorate her, while the smaller statue of Virginia Dale is nearby. Handcrafted bricks, gargoyle benches, seasonal blooms, marble tables and stone wash basins stand out from the Roanoke Bay Gardens overlooking the terrace. The colonial walkway is dedicated to the lost colonists who once walked through these shores and lined with coastal tolerant plants. The Norwegian reeds were used on the thatched roofs of the 16th century gazebo imitations. There are more than 125 species of flowers in the Camellia collection, and an ancient oak tree is believed to have survived the day when the colonists lived on the island in 1585.
Another attraction on Roanoke Island is the North Carolina Aquarium, one of the facilities operated by three countries on the coast. In particular, it is located on the banks of the Roanoke Sound, just a short distance from the Dare County Regional Airport, depicting its theme of “outside the river”.
The coastal plains of North Carolina, as shown in the “Coastal Freshwater” show, provide a variety of freshwater habitats for wildlife. Streams and rivers flow through swamps, pods ins and other wetlands as they flow to the sound. Waterways link all of these habitats so that wildlife can move from one to the other.
The Albemarle Sound is fed by seven freshwater rivers. In order to survive in the sound, animals and plants must be able to adapt to changes in salt, which is caused by rainfall and drought.
Mink and crocodile roam in the “Edge Wetlands” exhibition, and other exhibitions include exhibitions designated as “Ocean Communities” and “Open Oceans”.
The focus of the aquarium is the 285,000-gallon "Atlantic Graveyard" saltwater show, with more than 200 fish and North Carolina's largest shark collection.